Home | Deals | News | Store | Community   Search our site:
Receive our frequent
flyer e-newsletter

Products & Services

Newsletters

Late-Breaking Program News Delta SkyMiles Introduces a Third Award Tier
(Posted: Jul 31, 2008)

Delta announced that it will launch a new three-tiered award structure in September 2008. The lowest level capacity controlled Discounted award will remain the same at 25,000 miles roundtrip for travel within the continental U.S., Alaska and Canada.

A second Expanded tier will offer more availability on domestic routes at 40,000 miles and a third tier, Last Seat, will allow members with 60,000 miles the ability to redeem for any available seat.

Members will be able to mix and match awards and travel class on the same award itinerary. For example, a member can fly in coach on a Discounted award one way and return in business class on an Expanded award.

The three award tiers also apply to worldwide destinations and you can view the new award levels at the link below.

Jeff Robertson, managing director of Delta's SkyMiles program, said "These changes will allow our members to better use their miles when they want, where they want and how they want - with no blackout dates and the ability again to book the last seat on the plane."

LINK: http://www.delta.com/skymiles

BB
posted: Jul 31, 2008 at 8:34am (MT)

Just another way for DL to cheapen the value of your banked miles.

ks
posted: Jul 31, 2008 at 10:23am (MT)

If people had not noticed before, it has been a long time since Delta has been quietly making flyers use more miles to get tickets. Now it is at least out in the open. We don't fly Delta for that reason amongst others.

bretteee
posted: Aug 3, 2008 at 3:40pm (MT)

Delta has the worst Frequent Flyer program.
1. Impossible to get an Award to Europe for 50,000 miles. They insist on 100,000. I have gotten Awards on AA, CO and BA in peak summer for the "regular mileage requirement."
2. The link with American Express cards is a disadvantage as many businesses do not accept American Express.

bretteee
posted: Aug 3, 2008 at 3:41pm (MT)

CORRECTION; I meant it is impossible to get an award on Delta to Europe for 50,000 miles in the PEAK SUMMER MONTHS. However I have gotten awards in peak summer at the normal level on AA, CO and BA.

ray K.
posted: Aug 3, 2008 at 7:10pm (MT)

Delta is BY FAR the hardest program to use. They RARELY, if ever, allow travel for 25,000 miles. I've stopped using my American Express skymiles card and instead use an American Express travel rewards card instead.

Jim H
posted: Aug 11, 2008 at 11:17am (MT)

AMEN

Trying to get tickets to Hawaii at the Saver Award Category is impossible and a $100 change fee imposed when you want to change, unless you are a Platinum flyer. In addition, unlike United, you can't reserve a future return date outside the 331 days, therefore, in order to get an outbound, you have to book a fictitious return and pay $100 to change it when the date rolls around.

Rita Patel
posted: Mar 12, 2009 at 11:39pm (MT)

Delta sent me a letter notifying me they expired my skymile account due to inactivity for last 2 years and wants me to pay $250 to redeem almost 25,000 miles. They gave me no communications of their policy changes on activity adjustments they changed in the year 2004. They also failed to document an international trip I took 3 years ago using my skymiles membership info. I am outraged and disgusted with their money hungry, poor customer service. I will be writing to their CEO and blow it up all on the news if they don't redeem all the miles I used and compensate.

About Us | Advertising | Contact Us | Copyright | Help | Press Room | Privacy Policy | Products | Legal |