Home | Deals | News | Store | Community   Search our site:
Receive our frequent
flyer e-newsletter

Products & Services

Newsletters

Late-Breaking Program News SkyMiles Revises Medallion Program
(Posted: Jan 17, 2013)

Delta SkyMiles is changing the way members in the U.S. earn Medallion status effective Jan. 1, 2014. From that date forward, Medallion Qualification Dollars (MQDs) will be introduced requiring a minimum spend level for members to qualify for Medallion elite-level status in addition to the required Medallion Qualification Miles (MQMs) or Medallion Qualification Segments (MQSs) currently used to determine status.

Status for the 2015 Medallion program will be determined in the following way:

- Silver will be obtained when spending $2,500 and earning 25,000 MQMs or 30 MQSs.
- Gold will be obtained when spending $5,000 and earning 50,000 MQMs or 60 MQSs.
- Platinum will be obtained when spending $7,500 and 75,000 MQSs or 100 MQSs.
- Diamond will be obtained when spending $12,500 and earning 125,000 MQMs or 140 MQSs.

If you have a U.S. Delta SkyMiles Credit Card from American Express and spend $25,000 of eligible purchases on the card, the MQD requirements will be waived. These changes will not affect customers in 2013.

For more information about the changes, visit http://www.delta.com

Keith
posted: Jan 17, 2013 at 1:10pm (MT)

This is Delta attempting to get more money from their loyal users and paring down the number of Diamond members I think. This will make it much harder for someone like me, who does the actual 125k+ miles the hard way, rather than get MQM bonuses for business and Amex spend. They say it's to make it more exclusive for their loyal members, read that as 'everyone is special, so no one is' - they have to revalue. Unfortunately for me I shall from 2014 find it hard to qualify, so I will therefore be less loyal. Delta know this of course and don't care. The other annoying thing is the unspecified detail on the comment 'adjusting MQMs for lower value fares'. I always take the lowest fare, and therefore might not even make Platinum if they devalue those tickets. Sad.

Bob R
posted: Jan 18, 2013 at 11:40am (MT)

It is disappointing to see this move having been a loyal Delta flyer for so many years, willing to take connecting flights when other airlines had non-stops, willing to pay higher fares to maintain my status. I'll give it a go for 2014 but will monitor it carefully and see if the effort is still worth it. I won't have to worry about the $12,500 Diamond limit because I used the Amex card well over the $25,000 limit last year. BTW, using the Amex actually benefitted me in paying fewer bills each month, I never paid a dime in interest, and I earned lots of extra miles, too. Nonetheless, I think iI will have to start looking at other options (particularly since SkyTeam partner spend won't count).

tim
posted: Jan 18, 2013 at 6:16pm (MT)

I love the new program from Delta. It appears that they will now reward people like me who are loyal to delta and actually spend money with them

David Barbour
posted: Jan 19, 2013 at 3:48pm (MT)

Well, who would have thought an airline would pimp for American Express? It's a sad day for frequent flyer couples who use one credit card.

Bob C
posted: Jan 23, 2013 at 8:09am (MT)

Personally, like Tim, I'm glad that Delta has made this move. It has always irked me that I spend more on tickets (being a last minute higher priced business traveler) and yet get very little as far as traveler perks, even though I am loyal to them as my preferred airline. Perhaps now I will see more upgrade opportunities. Kudos Delta!

GB
posted: Jan 26, 2013 at 6:05am (MT)

This is bad for the small businessman who flys Delta frequently but with a limited budget. I do 5 times a year trans-atlantic and this now probably wont even get me Silver. I dont want their Amex Card as I have other bank relationships so I will vote with my feet to another carrier. I also find it a disappointment for the Alliance and affiliated carriers that I often use. So now I will have to pay to get a better economy class seat and my bags after spending over 5 grand because the MQD dont count all the countless taxes and international surcharges that I must pay. Bad news and I'm a frequent flyer hit again hard on this deal. Im done with Delta.

sr
posted: Jan 29, 2013 at 7:04am (MT)

I had delta "match" my status w/ another carrier well they gave me 2 tiers lower the only reason I flew them was because my carrier mest up my booking and there were no more seats left. well DL
u/g rt but it was down hill from there I had reached platinum but opted to go back to original carrier I had a ton of miles but it was a nightmare trying to use them. no vip u/g w/delta
I have friends that r based in hud cities like msp
atl and others and r not too happy even though they fly well over 200k. if DL would treat ppl decently this maybe would not be a factor however the very fact that taxes which r a big part of the tkt fares paid for other skyteam r not part of the equation just shows how selfish delta is and how unworthy its program is

About Us | Advertising | Contact Us | Copyright | Help | Press Room | Privacy Policy | Products | Legal |